Saturday, November 29, 2008

Meet Taylor




If you know me, you know I love a "find". There are few things more rewarding to me than unearthing treasure in unlikely places. It seems after a year of dreaming of a new guitar, one found me. When I walked into Burts Music in Coeur d 'Alene all I was looking for was elixir strings, but I have the uncontrollable compulsion to check out the guitars. I made a bee-line for the Takamine's, having done my research and deciding they were the guitar for me, but when none felt right Cal placed the 310ce Taylor on consignment in my hands and I was undone. I never knew a guitar could bring tears to my eyes, but something about the sound and feel of this warm little baby did. I was surprised at how light he was and how full the sound was, but there is a softness to the tone that just fit my voice. I was sweating and sick to leave Taylor in the store (if my parent's would have had their way, I would have walked out with a new guitar without a second thought) but I couldn't justify buying myself a new guitar when I'm the owner of a beautiful Ovation Adamas. I fretted (no pun intended;), I couseled with my husband and my parents and my brother and I prayed. Big purchases make me nervous, especially when they haven't been planned and most especially when this guitar was exactly what I never knew I needed. When the sun dawned on the last day I would be able to make the Taylor mine I was in that store, I paid the price (with the help of my father, Thanks Daddy) and I was the proud mum to a new (previously owned) dreadnought Taylor. I think the owner of the store thought I was a little bit nutty when I told him to let the previous owner know this guitar would go to a good home. I was serious though:) This guitar is part of the family. I've already ordered more strings, a new tuner, a capo and most importantly a humidifier to keep this treasure in mint condition. I can't wait to take him to Sun Valley with me so I can spend some quality time with my 2008 AND 2009 Christmas Gift:) As a side note, when I originally wanted a Takamine (which I still think is a great guitar) Cal told me, "You've got to play a Taylor Ted." As much as it pains me to say, Cal was right, and now he wants one too. I'll let you know when his Taylor finds him:)

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I have a Taylor! It is an amazing guitar.