Monday, February 16, 2015

Everything That Glitters

My first conscious memory of this song was as a young Rodeo Queen putting on my lip gloss in the rearview mirror of my Daddy's old truck before a rodeo where I rode my Red Pepper Chex and waved to the crowd.  The first time I sang it was with my two brothers the year I joined their band the summer after my freshman year at Utah State University.  Since then, I can't remember how many times we've sung it, but it never fails to get me.  When Cal and I recorded it for Jake on his mission in Florida I outright bawled when we got to the part about Old Red, having lost a couple of Old Reds already in my lifetime.  We have the late Dan Seals to thank for this song that has become a binding thread throughout our lives, and Thanks Kristy Anderson Mayes for requesting it. 

No comments: